, , , ,

Day 35, Saturday, July 21, 2012: Today was a perfect day. I woke up early and, even in the rain, got going. I headed straight to the National Gallery of Art and finished
the rest of the museum that Alaina and I had not been able to see last time we went. It was wonderful. I saw paintings by: Raphael, da Vinci, Turner, Van Dyke, Van Gogh, George Bellows, Renoir, Cezanne, Degas, Monet, Matisse, Gauguin, Eugene Delacroix, Henri Rousseau, Picasso, Pissaro, Seurat, Cassatt, Manet, and many more. Honestly, I almost swooned when I entered the Impressionism rooms, and then got a little too excited when I realized I was in a room entirely filled with Monet pieces, including my favorite one, The Houses of Parliament at Sunset. It was the perfect beginning to the perfect day. I even purchased two Monet magnets in the gift shop, and showed restraint from purchasing any prints. I was so proud of myself. I stopped for a delicious street hot dog and then headed back to Foggy Bottom Metro station to meet with my two friends for the Tastes of Belgium festival!

The Belgian festival was awesome. It was even more entertaining than it probably would’ve been because of the weather that was acting like Belgium weather. It was a little bit of a mud pit at the festival, which was filled with people, beer, waffles and frites. The frites were to die for, and one of the best things of the day was the beer with the ice cream in it. It was delicious.

After we had had our fill in frites and beer, we headed to Metro Center and decided to go to Ming’s, a delicious Chinese restaurant. We all ordered an early dinner/late lunch/something else to eat besides frites and then walked to the movies. We went and saw Brave. It was precious. I recommend it no matter what age you are. It was funny and very well done.

After the movie, I decided to walk back to where we live, stopping at Whole Foods on the way and picking up a few items for dinner. It was one of the best Saturdays I’ve had thus far.

Day 36, Sunday, July 22, 2012: Today was just your average Sunday in D.C. filled with art museum hopping. I started the morning at the Corcoran Gallery of Art, where I almost stroked out yet again when I realized I was starring at a portrait of King Louis XV’s mistress (she was in my books about Marie Antoinette that I just finished reading, and I must say, looked NOTHING like I pictured her in my mind. The woman was gorgeous!) and then my day got even better when I stepped into the Salon Dore, a glided room with a painted ceiling, and on the exquisite mantel, was a clock that was OWNED and USED by Marie Antoinette in the Tulleries Palace. I almost shrieked in the museum and had the greatest impulse ever to touch it…that’s what happens when you release museum educated people into museums, we want to touch things more than the average person because we are allowed to when we work in collections at the museums we work at…it’s bad. Thankfully I was able to hold myself off and not touch it, but I did stare at it as close as I physically could get without making the alarm go off. Then, it got even better–it chimed. It still worked! It was breathtakingly beautiful, and so fun to see when I’ve been reading all about her life.

After I finished at the Corcoran, I headed down the street to the Renwick Gallery. It had some amazing Cassatt paintings and many others of artists I’ve never heard of or seen before. It was definitely worth the trip over there.

Next, I walked over to the National Geographic Museum. They had great photographs, naturally, and they had an awesome exhibit about the Titanic. They even had props from the movie, which was really cool to see up close. I even played with/learned a little Morse Code while I was in the exhibit.

After that, I stopped for a bite to eat at a tiny pizza joint and then got gelato from them before walking to the National Portrait Gallery. I was determined to see the entire museum before it closed. I did it. I saw all of it, even the part that houses all paintings being preserved. I almost asked the people working on that floor if they could just hire me so that I could keep looking at the collection when the guard kicked me out because the museum was closed. It is safe to say that it was a wonderful weekend. 

For more fun things, follow me on Twitter @amyestone12